Friday, July 25, 2008

Why I am interested in KOTOR MMORPG

Let me be honest here. If I had to chose between Fantasy and Sci-Fi, I'd chose Fantasy. I don’t really like turn based games like the final fantasy series or Baldurs Gate. I don’t know much about the in-depth Star Wars lore. Wow, I sound like I love the KOTOR series!

OK, so I feel like I need to explain these 3 points to you...

I like sci-fi in certain circumstances. I feel like due to the massive amount of sci-fi television programs that have been made, they all end up the same cheesyness. If done correctly, sci-fi can be very good indeed. I think warhammer 40K did a very good job of making a believable space reality and so did star wars. What was it exactly about these? I don’t know, but something just works.

Turn based games drive me crazy. I hate having to wait for the opponent to react to my last attack and hate waiting for my next attack to be ready. Fortunately, KOTOR had the timing just about right for it not to feel too much like a chore every fight I got in. And there was always the ability to not stop combat if you preferred. With 3 crew members always fighting and moving around, it felt more like a real battle: frantic and unpredictable. I’m guessing that the MMO will not be turn based. It’ll be interesting to see.

I'm not one of these die-hard star wars fans that dressed up as obi-wan and camped outside the cinema when the films were released. Saying that, I love all of the films (yes, even episode 1). I've played plenty of the star wars games and enjoyed those too. Despite this, I haven’t done any novel reading to really get in the depth of the lore. I'm starting to do my background reading using Wookiepedia. I love the star wars universe for many reasons: One of which is the idea of jedi and sith. These elite individuals can be so god like and uber and have such different goals. And to make it even better, in a society that relies on long range weapons, they use hand to hand weapons! In KOTOR you had the opportunity to become one of these individuals, starting off as a regular Joe.

What struck me most about the KOTOR games was that every action you took led you down a different path. It's quite unique. I'm sure there are other games out there that have done similar things but I haven’t played them. I loved that I could be a b***ard during my conversations and that it contributed to my path. I specifically remember a quest to "help" a dark jedi. You were meant to try to woe them back to the light side but if you were so inclined, you just destroy them and your excuse was that you saw them as a threat. Love it! It was also a neat feature that eventually people started to notice that my face was messed up because I had been warped by my evil nature.

Simply put, the KOTOR way of thinking is just perfect for an MMO and I cant wait to see what they make of it. I have extremely high expectations and I hope that the game meets them.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Minor point. Both the Bauldar's Gate and KOTOR series were turn based. That is how the games did the combat in the background. However you could choose to let the combat play out real time depending on the A.I. scripts you had enacted.

This is how I played the games. I would pause the action to plan more strategic combat.